background


Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Green What?

With my new goal of completing a triathlon in May of this year, I've decided that one great way to ensure success is to clean up my eating habits. All of you reading this are bound to think "Oh great, Kitty's going to announce the world, again, that she's given up Diet Coke." For all of you who might have thought this - YEAH RIGHT, GET REAL!!! I've realized that I just don't think that's going to happen. So, I need to be extra diligent in eating well to ensure great health and to minimize injuries along the way. I've vowed over and over again to eat more fresh vegetables and fruits, but always fall back into the habits of my favorite thing in life - BREAD. I LOVE BREAD and can't seem to get the fresh salads in when there's great bread in the house. I had heard about green shakes before, probably from my mom, so I decided to look into it. What could it hurt? Right? So, I got adventurous, googled green shakes, read lots of recipes and then ventured to the vegetable market for some supplies. Before I tell you how it turned out, here's what I put into my blender/juicer:

1 medium carrot
1 banana
5 mandarin oranges (fresh)
1 cup cold water

several ice cubes
flax seed
a little splenda for good measure
1/2 lb fresh raw spinach


My kitchen is a disaster, there's chunks of carrots all over the place! But guess what?!  It's fabulous! You wouldn't believe how great it tastes. I came in to Cooper, had him close his eyes and give it a try. He even liked it! I have found the answer to eating my veggies! Wohoo!





1 comment:

  1. You can add spinach to any shake and it really doesn't change the taste too much. I love Strawberry!

    ReplyDelete