background


Saturday, January 31, 2009

Chinese New Year School Performances

  Sorry for the red color - It's the best I could do!

I would be totally remiss if I did not devote at least 2 postings to the Chinese New Year. This first post will be entirely dedicated to Ally and Eve's school performances. I was so proud of my little chinese singing girls! Unfortunately Lee did not get to attend, so this is all my perspective. The girls were really insistant on Ing coming to the performance so Cooper, Ing and I packed all our camera gear into the car and headed out for the 45 minute ride to the girls' school. It's about 30 minutes on the highway, and then you can count on at least 10 more as you come through the little village that is just before the school. There are a few small manufacturing plants just before you get to the gates of the school, so in the unfortunate event that any trucks are leaving or arriving at the plants, you can spend a solid 30 minutes waiting at times. Unfortunately for us, we got caught in a jam of trucks just before arriving. I had to phone into the school to let them know that at least 20 other cars on their way to the school were caught. I was thankful to catch the Vice Principle just before she left her office for the play and they waited a few minutes for all of us to get through! We had to park in the very very back of the school lot and really huffed and puffed to make it in time, but we did! Yeah!
Eve and her good friend Pareesa

Each grade, K-5, had their own individual songs to perform, so lucky for you guys, I will only force the details of Ally and Eve's classes on you! Whew! Cooper, Ing and I ended up standing for the performance but that gave us a good shot for the camera. Anway, I will post some pictures because to tell you the truth, I didn't understand any of the songs! It's all chinese to me! :) All the children had to dress in Chinese attire. Eve was so happy to go buy a new dress! Ally's class sang the theme song from a popular cartoon here in China. The main characters are sheep. Ally was Mei Yang Yang, which is one of the main sheep. Eve's class sang "If You're Happy and You Know It", in Chinese of course! 


1 comment:

  1. Ruguo kaui le ji zhidao ... couldn't possibly be the words we know, right. The favorite phrase of my Chinese laoshi is (when I show initiative and try to 'connect the dots' like that), But in fact we don't say it like that! (Of course, you don't!)
    Love the school performances here. She looks great in her qipao. You would too. Do you have one? You should!!
    (See you Monday, girlfriend! And I'd be excited to see you even if you weren't bringing Tres Leches dangao!) ;)

    ReplyDelete