background


Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Chinese Market Day with Cooper

Turtle Soup sounds great on a cold day! 
I think these are eels. Tasty!
                           This is some sort of vegetable, but who knows what it is!
                                Pig's hind quarter anyone? Cooper thought this was totally gross!

   Dried, cured fowl... Fun times!
  
I am behind in posting this outing. We went to this really fun market on Jan. 14th with my friend Tami. We had such a great time! There is a canal/river that runs behind our neighborhood. We really like to bike there and I love to jog along the river. It also takes us down to our good friend's house. I have ridden past this little market a dozen times and finally got the nerve to go in. I was intimidated because there isn't a single foreigner to be seen there and I was so afraid that I wouldn't be able to communicate. Finally, I got up the guts and discovered that it is now my favorite place to grocery shop! I don't trust the meat there, and you will agree as you browse my pictures, but we now buy our vegetables, eggs, some breads and fresh noodles (mientao) there. I probably go twice a week for our fresh stuff. I also discovered that they sell cupcakes that taste almost identical to our cupcakes there. I can get a huge bag of like 30 for about $1. So exciting! 
Cooper liked the fish stalls the very best. We saw eels, turtles, crayfish, all kinds of fish, and lots of fish heads. Almost all the fish are live and you just pick what you want. I don't trust the live fish there either because I think they catch them in the nasty canal/river, which has who knows what floating in it. Cooper was examining with wonder the fish heads that are pictured here. The little lady reached out and poked the biggest one's eye, and much to our amazement (Tami and I both screamed!) the fishhead totally took a huge gasp for air (ok, water). His gills opened up, his mouth opened wide and I am sure if he had the rest of his body he would have flopped around. Just as soon as we got over our shock, he went back to being a dead fish head. It was crazy! Cooper said "Do it again!" So, the lady did. Totally crazy!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that dead fish head still sort of creeps me out! That was a fun outing with you. Thanks for letting me tag along. Your little Cooper is such a sweet little boy. Love sitting in the back seat with him and having our little conversations about nothing important. Thanks for turning me onto those cupcakes. My family was amazed that something that tasted so 'real' could be found here. The cute little hot water bottles that I bought that day would be fun for the YW to have. Next time you go, would you mind poking your hand in that tub and scrounging around to see if they have any more of them? Thanks! Any time you need an adventure buddy, I'm your girl!! :D

    ReplyDelete