background


Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ally's Baptism



We had such a wonderful day yesterday. It was my birthday and Ally chose to be baptized on that day. We had the baptism at our good friend's house, Tracey and Greg Butters. Ally's birthday was actually in November and we had held out for a little thinking that maybe some grandparents could make it. Unfortunately it didn't pan out for out of town guests, and Ally was super anxious to be baptized, so we decided to just do it! I was hoping to wait another week so that all our friends would be back in town from Christmas holidays, but both Lee and Ally overruled me. Having it on my birthday made it very special for me.

The baptism was lovely. Although we were sad that some of our closer friends were not there, the day turned out to be wonderful. Ally was baptized in the dress that I was baptized in, which my mother made for me when I was 8. Both she and her father were just a little apprehensive about getting it right in a bathtub, but it only took one try to get it right! Ally is so pleased to be a new member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

The following day was Sunday... I should clarify - it was Fast Sunday. Ally was startled and really, truly pretty upset that she was now expected to participate in the monthly fast. We had quite a row about it, but with some help from mom and dad, she made it through and fasted. At dinner that evening I was touched to hear her say as she prayed over our dinner "Thank you for helping me learn how to fast."

We are so proud of our little girl! I do feel old watching my first child be baptized. We are making our way through the world of parenthood at an astonishing rate. Sometimes I think I will blink and they will all be grown.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe it! Aden's is in Feb. He said he wants it to be small. We went swimming with the manatees this weekend and played in some natural springs. Aden found out that he could be baptized there if he wants to. It would be beautiful. Congratulations Ally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (I'll try again...this time without the typos.)
    What a cool thing to be able to say you were baptized in China. And made all the more special for it to be on your birthday. When was your birthday? I was so wrapped up in our company (our kids that came for Christmas) that I missed it. We should go out to lunch and have a belated spoil Kitty day. What do you say?!

    ReplyDelete