background


Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Where Did My Babies Go?

The other day, as I was watching Ally and thinking about the little young lady she's rapidly becoming, I came to the startling realization that I am no longer a 'young mother'. When I left high school and went to college, I thought "Holy Crap! I don't live at home anymore!" But, I lived with my older brother, who always looked out for me and my parents sent me money every month to help out. So I really wasn't alone or on my own.... not really a responsible adult just yet. Then I got married. I moved across the country and was truly on my own, paying bills, going to work everyday. I felt pretty good about being so independent. Then, as a new mom I had another "Holy Crap" moment. As I held my daughter in my arms I thought "Holy Crap! I'm a mom! I have to take care of this little human being 24/7 without fail!" It scared me. I fit in at church and in the community with all the other young mothers... moms with babies and toddlers. It was a pretty comfortable place to be. Our kids were so young that we didn't really worry about the influence of peer pressure, homework assignments, choosing the right outfit, censoring what the kids watch and read... I was a "Young Mother" (at least in my own mind) for several years. Even when Ally went to kindergarten I thought of myself as a mother of small children because Eve was only four and Cooper was a baby.

Recently it occurred to me, after I had the 'Facts of Life' talk with my nine year old, that I am no longer a "Young Mother". I don't have babies at home anymore. I can't sit around having conversations with other women about nursing, changing diapers, going through the "Terrible Twos", etc. When I shop for Christmas presents I no longer get to go to all the fun little toys for preschoolers. I am so sad that I can't buy princess dress ups and barbies and baby dolls and strollers. We left Houston and gave all that stuff to Goodwill. How sad! Cooper is still only 4, and I am clinging to that for dear life (just ask Lee, he'll affirm), but really, he plays games with his sisters, is almost completely self sufficient, and really only calls for help when he wants help wiping his tushy! So, I had yet another "Holy Crap!" moment, accepting that I no longer have babies in the house. They are all in school, happy to leave me everyday, happy to explore and discover a world beyond mommy. I decided to share some of my favorite baby pictures. The quality isn't so great, due the fact that digital cameras weren't always what they are now.

Enjoy my walk down memory lane!
 Bikini Evie! She loved, loved to dress up in her favorite grass skirt and swimsuit top.
Eve loved the piano even as a baby! 
Eve is showing off her new earrings... my big preggers belly got caught in the picture.
Evie and Grandma
 Ally's first day of kindergarten.
 Just hanging out in the car.  (we just threw that seat away this summer!)
 Halloween 2002
Bathtime for Ally with Grandma Cannon 
Before Ally banned me from doing her hair!
I miss Ally's curls!
 Cooper as a newborn.
 Cooper sleeping in the bouncer (after crying his eyes out for 1/2 hour while I cooked dinner!)
 Coop sleeping again....
 Cooper came home from his church nursery class feeling very "Thankful for My Ears!"
He's gonna use that shovel and move the whole mountain!

Here's to moving on to our next 'station' in life, gracefully and with no regrets!

4 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts in this post and I love this pictures! We've had some really cute babies! I think my favorite was the one with Cooper and the dirt pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to see your kids as babies! I only knew that as darling little kids. But I did notice them looking older in your Thailand pictures. They are as good-looking as their parents. Lucky kids! You were a good mother of little kids and now you're a good mother of "kids"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remeber them as little tykes and to me you'll always be a cool young Mom, just as I will be too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun memory-lane blog! Those three kids of your are absolutely darling for sure. I'm with you on those "Where are my babies" moments. It truly goes so fast, but it is truly a delight to see them mature into young adults. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete