background


Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What Makes the World Go Round?

It's often been said that money makes the world go round. I would have to disagree; control makes the world go round. I don't mean the kind of control that a mighty country might have in the international community. I'm not referring to the control that is obtained by buying a certain percentage of shares of a company. Nor am I even referring to the control we can exercise over the ones we love, whether it's intentional manipulation or the control we have without even knowing it.

The control I am referring to is self control. We have daily choices to make - all day, everyday. From the choice of what color socks to wear to what route to take to work, or whether or not to bend the truth a little, our ability to exercise self control is always present, always there for us to master. As I watch my children, fighting over the remote control, I see them choosing how to react, how to manipulate the situation. When my girls are sure that the world is coming to a crashing end because one sister won't share with the other, it's amazing how quickly they are able to make amends and resolve the situation on their own when faced with my very small intervention of "Either work it out lovingly between the two of you, or I will take it away." Suddenly, the situation changes. At first they were 100% sure that they had no choice but to yell and scream, but quickly realized that they did have power to come to a mutual agreement.

So, you are wondering, where I am going with this whole dissertation on self control? We all go through highs and lows in our lives, peaks and valleys, periods of turmoil and periods of peace and satisfaction. Recently, our family came through a trying time... a definite valley. As we have pulled together and made difficult, yet righteous decisions, I have seen the power that comes through exercising self control. I have seen changes that come through making good choices. I have felt the peace that comes when a family works together as a family to follow the Lord's path, even when you're not sure where it will take you.

I had surgery in October and took quite awhile to recover. During that recovery period, I had some time for serious personal reflection. I have many strengths and many weaknesses. One weakness that I particularly dislike is my lack of patience with my children. I tend to be short with the kids, yelling instead of talking things through. I didn't even realize just how unacceptable this was until spending some time with a wonderful friend here in Shanghai. After a year of watching her with her children, it finally occurred to me that I could be that kind of mother. I struggle with anxiety and have for so many years. Whenever I feel out of control and anxious with the kids, I have (in the past) just blamed it on my medical condition. My kids and I refer to my medicine as 'brain medicine' because it helps my brain produce all the chemicals that I need. When I am particularly grumpy, Ally usually asks "Mom, did you take your brain medicine today?"

So back to the surgery (I promise it all ties in). Last night Ally looked at me, as we were making cookies, and asked if my surgery had anything to do with my brain. I told her no and asked her why she asked. She replied that since my surgery I had been much nicer...  much more like Sister So and So, and wondered if they had fixed my brain. It made me so happy to know that my efforts in self control were paying off. I have admired this sister and tried to imitate her interactions with her children, in the hopes that imitation would help me get where I wanted to be, which is a more loving, patient and kind mother. What joy I felt, knowing that even though I struggle, and even though I really do have to maintain daily medications to feel emotional health, that the gift of free agency is there for me to take advantage of. It is so easy to look for a scape goat, to look for somewhere to place blame, rather than taking responsibility and accepting that the consequences of our actions are real and tangible.

We teach our children to exercise self control each day. We teach them through little mini life lessons and we teach through example. So, today I stand on my very short soap box, feeling pleased that in at least one area of my life I've managed to exercise a little self control. Now, the trick is to keep it up, continuing to "be loving and gentle in deed and in thought, for these are the things Jesus taught." We are promised great blessings when we endure to the end. I don't think that means that we just continue 'being', living and breathing. I think that means we have to keep making good decisions, every step of the way. We have to keep on keeping on, even when it would be so much easier not to.

Money doesn't make the world go round, using our power and agency to exercise self control is what makes us happy and complete.

6 comments:

  1. loved this post! I needed to hear it not only as a mom but as a wife as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent post! I love your thoughts on self-control and how hilarious that Ally asked if they'd "fixed your brain"- LOL! I agree with everything you mentioned. I'm going through a similar transformation and it's not easy, but it's making me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kitty
    I have been really struggling with this lately and have been really been praying and pondering on this and I think your very short soap box was an answer to my prayers. Thanks so much for being there even on the other side of the world.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. I was a little afraid to put it all out there, but I felt so strongly to do so. Thanks for being so supportive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kitty, thanks for sharing this. I know you're selling yourself short when it comes to being grumpy with your kids because you're such a sweet mommy. But what our kids think of us, I mean REALLY think of us, is important. I'm glad that the surgery fixed (either directly or indirectly) your brain...:) So cute.

    Your thoughts go along with something that Neal A. Maxwell said that I just read a couple minutes ago...
    "Genuine hope is urgently needed in order to be more loving even as the love of many waxes cold; more merciful, even when misunderstood or misrepresented; more holy, even as the world ripens in iniquity; more courteous and patient in a coarsening and curt world; and more full of heartfelt hope, even when other men's hearts fail them. Whatever our particular furrow, we are to 'plow in hope,' (1 Cor. 9:10) without looking back or letting yesterday hold tomorrow hostage".

    Thanks for being that kind of example. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED this post! You have such a way with words, and I always know when you say things they are 100% genuine. I am soooo grateful I have met people like you--you are a fabulous mother who I know loves her family so much! Oh yeah....and that surgery that fixed your brain sure made you look like a million bucks too! (:

    ReplyDelete