background


Sunday, March 7, 2010

Triathlon Training Update

Two months ago I decided to train for a triathlon. The idea was daunting, to say the least. So, I found a plan and got started. It's been 8 weeks of hard work, and I'm still not ready for my big day yet. But, I am pleased to report that I am making progress. When I started, I could only run 4K before feeling like I was going to die, right there on the side of the road. I hadn't ever swam laps of any sort and it had been years since I rode a bike for more than a short ride to the kids school. I am please to report that I can now run 8K in an hour.... and still live to tell about it! I usually ride about 14 miles on Saturdays and my swimming is coming along. I was so proud when I swam 1200 m. I still have a long way to go. Each event wipes me out.... I have to be able to swim 800m, bike 23K and run 10K, all on the same day, without really stopping. So I still have some major work to do. Taking the time to reflect today on my progress has been really encouraging. I still have 2 1/2 months before the big event and it is easy to get discouraged. I am having a lot of fun training and can't wait for the big day. I am enjoying learning how to swim properly. I've been watching all the youtube videos possible to help me improve my stroke. My favorite website, www.beginnertriathlete.com, is really helpful and I love reading everyone's stories about their first Tri. One of my big motivators is to be able to send in my story to be published on the website. Today I completed 8K without wanting to puke at the end, which is a great achievement.

Today I posted this on Facebook:

"What's the best thing about pushing yourself to finish the 8K run you started??? Knowing there's a diet coke, hot bath and a plate of cheesy nachos waiting for you at home! Talk about a runner's high!" 


I'm going to sign off now and go enjoy some cheesy nachos. As my good friend Vanna always says "Ciao!" 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Good job, Kitty! It's got to feel good knowing that you're making progress. But also confirms in my mind that my role in things like this is to be the cheerleader on the sidelines. There's no way I could do even half on ONE of those venues. I think about you whenever we use our Johnny Moo glasses...I can picture you toting around your diet coke! :) (Ah, the good ol' days!)

    ReplyDelete