background


Friday, May 7, 2010

Field Trip at the Bio Farm

Today was another perfect spring day. Eve had a class field trip to the Shanghai BioFarm, where they grow organic whole foods, using no pesticides and no chemical fertilizer. The farm is 12 miles from our house, so I decided to be eco-friendly myself and bike to the farm. It was a glorious spring morning and it only took me about 45 minutes to get there. I thoroughly enjoyed the morning ride. I got there with plenty of time to spare and enjoyed chatting with a few other parents who had arrived early. Eve and I enjoyed hanging out together, enjoying the tour and the sunshine. We learned about crop rotation, we saw a bug zapper powered by the sun, we saw a caterpillar trap that uses female caterpillar pheromones to attract and trap male caterpillars. We learned about allowing plants to reseed themselves rather than using biologically altered store bought seeds. It was quite a fun little trip. Eve and her partner Allison had lots of fun picking their own vegetables:
If you look closely you can see that Eve is standing in a row of broccoli. The tour guide told us that you can make soup from broccoli leaves, but I'm a little skeptical.!
We learned all about herbs and the kids got to guess different herbs by rubbing the leaves in their fingers and smelling them. That was lots of fun, too! At the end of the tour the kids got to create artwork using plants from the farm. Eve was very meticulous in her creation. I had to help her finish up before we got our sack lunches out (mom was starving!).

Isn't my girl a cutie! She's so full of spunk and sparkle! We had a great picnic lunch together to finish off the event. Eve came home from school with an armful of great organic vegetables that she got to pick herself.

2 comments:

  1. that's my kind of field trip! I love eve's skirt too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I got your comment on my blog about Taylia. Thank you. I made the connection with Rebecca probably a year ago. When she told me you lived there I immediately asked Taylia if she knew you and she told me she had just had dinner at your house. What a small world. When Jeff said that people from the church were in and out all day and night during those first few days I thought of you. We were all so worried about Jeff and the kids but we were comforted to know that as members of the church, we are never alone. Thanks again for the note.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete