background


Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Gal's Best Friend

Some say diamonds are a girl's best friend, but I beg to differ. I've got a little sidekick that really makes me smile. She doesn't require much, just two square meals a day, a ride in the car as often as possible, and a few potty breaks (preferably in the neighbor's yard). My little companion loves to sit on my lap when I drive around town running errands, which makes my husband cringe at the thought. She goes absolutely and fantastically bananas at the sound of my car keys jangling, barking, dancing on hind legs, running frantic circles around my legs and in general causing complete mayhem until we walk out the door together.


We got Brescia (brae-schia) when she was probably only 5 weeks old, while we were living in Shanghai. I had asked the local pet shop owner if he could find us a miniature schnauzer puppy. Much to my surprise, the following week he called to say he'd found one. So, we went in to the shop and without warning, fell irrevocably head over heels in love with our little darling. When I suggested to the pet shop owner that she was too young to take home, he offered to keep her at the shop for a few more weeks. Of course, I had meant that she should be returned to her mother! So, we took her home to our loving family and she's been a joy ever since.DSC_0241.JPG




CSC_0210.JPG


After she came home from her first haircut I was certain they had given me the wrong dog! She went from this:




brescia and gum.jpg


To this:




DSC_0070.JPG


She's such a loyal little companion. She follows me from room to room, watching my every move. She knows the jingle of the keys, the flip flop of my shoes and even recognizes the snapping sound of my running socks being put on. My little pengyou (friend in Mandarin) runs my 6 milers with me twice a week, she goes tot he store with me, waiting in the car... she pretty much goes where I go. If I am behind closed doors she just waits by the door patiently until I come out.




IMG_0413.jpg


She's a gal's best friend and I couldn't ask for a more faithful companion.



2 comments:

  1. We miss Brescia! We just moved back into our house, and Brescia would do a great job making her "stand" in the Wilde home. How hilarious that she loved to do business only here!! I'm only taking it as a compliment....feels welcome, and comfortable to let loose. Love you Kitty, and "doggy"! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete